What We Believe
At Abiding Savior Lutheran Church we believe in the triune God; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
We believe that God the Father is our Creator loves his creation and longs for all his children to come to salvation through Jesus Christ, his son.
We believe in Jesus Christ. We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who became fully human and lived a perfect life so that he could take the sins of the world upon himself and to suffer and die with them, on the third day after his death he rose from the grave. He did this in order to secure the forgiveness of sins for those who believe in him so that we might have victory over sin, death, and the power of the devil.
We believe in the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit works faith as a gift in the hearts of people through God’s Word and Sacraments.
We believe that the Holy Bible is the inspired Word of God and serves as the norm and rule for our faith and life. The Bible’s purpose is to introduce us to Jesus our Savior so that we can find hope and strength as we live our lives for him who gave his life for us.
As Lutherans we believe that we are saved by Grace alone. This means that God loves the people he has created despite their sinfulness and rebellion. To us people who don’t deserve his love he sent Jesus to die with our sin and rise again victorious over it.
As Lutherans we believe that we are saved by Faith alone. Because we believe that Jesus died for our sins and so forgives our sins we trust in his power to be our only Savior from death. Through the work of the Holy Spirit God creates faith in our hearts so that we can confess Jesus as our Lord.
As Lutherans we believe that the only way we come to faith in Jesus is through the Bible alone. The Bible is God’s inerrant and infallible Word that leads us to salvation and instructs us as to how God desires and empowers us to live out our lives now.
As God’s people, united in faith around God’s Word, we are given a tremendous freedom in how we can choose to worship. At Abiding Savior, this means that while we have three distinct styles of worship in any given weekend, we truly believe that they are all unified in purpose and can be a blessing to you no matter what your previous experience.
- Our traditional service at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday employs more traditional instrumentation, the organ, choirs, bells, etc., and generally follow an established liturgy. The liturgies and hymnody are rooted in musical and theological tradition, but could be written anywhere from a thousand years ago to the previous week! This gives this service a tremendous sense of connection with the past, but also a connection to the present-day church and, hopefully, a sense of communication with angels, archangels, and all the company of heaven.
- Our contemporary services (5:00 p.m. Saturday and 10:15 a.m. Sunday) generally involve acoustic rock worship leadership with guitar, drums, keyboards, and vocals. Blending the newest in contemporary Christian music and the best of the worship life of the Church throughout all ages, we maintain a devotional, congregational-song focused service, always directed towards God’s Word and its place in our lives.
- For festival services (Easter, Christmas, Holy Week, etc.), you will most likely see a blend of all of our various types of worship. On these occasions, we gather everything we have as a congregation and present it to God, united as one body of Christ!
Children in Worship
We strongly encourage family worship! Please feel free to keep your children with you during the service. We know that it is not always possible, so our nursery is fully staffed and available for your little ones if you so choose. The nursery is located immediately to your left as you come in from the sanctuary parking lot. There is also a cry room adjacent to the sanctuary if you wish to remain with your children and view the service, but find them to be a little restless!
Directions and Parking
We are located at 23262 El Toro Road in Lake Forest, CA. We’re actually just off a Frontage road, between Muirlands and Jeronimo if you’re traveling on El Toro Road.
How to Become a Member of Abiding Savior Lutheran Church
We long to help people find help, hope, and home here at Abiding Savior Lutheran Church and School. As people connect with us we invite them to become a more formal part of our congregation through membership when they are ready to do so.
There are a couple ways to become a member of Abiding Savior:
- If you are currently a member of another Lutheran Church and would like to transfer your membership to Abiding Savior simply request a transfer from the Church Office.
- If you’re not a member of the Lutheran Church we’d like to have the opportunity to share with you what the Lutheran Church believes, teaches and confesses. This happens in Adult Membership Classes that are taught several times a year. These classes, taught by the pastors and other knowledgeable members, are a great time for studying God’s word together, asking your questions and hopefully getting some answers.
We invite all the people who are transferring into the congregation and the people who have gone through the membership class and decide they want to be members to experience our New Member Orientation. The purpose of this gathering is to get new members acclimated and assimilated into the congregation.
Finally, we ask our new members to enter the congregation in a worship service where we introduce them to the congregation and thank God for sending them to us.
Membership in a Lutheran church is an important thing. What makes it important is that membership means we share things in common; a common belief in Jesus as our Lord and Savior, a common understanding of the Word of God and the Sacraments, a common responsibility for extending the Kingdom of God in our midst and throughout the world.